This site

A project for static site hosting .

Hugo / Cloudflare

Table of contents


A Hugo based site has allowed me to use the site itself as a vehicle to learn Markdown and experience several hosting scenarios with Google, AWS and so on.

Site hosting

Cloudflare pages hosts this site.

Site configuration

First of all, a big shout to the authors behind the theme I’ve based the site on - the Future Imperfect theme. I’ve tweaked it to my taste in the following ways:

  • Social sharing buttons for Twitter/Reddit/LinkedIn.
  • I removed the social share links from the top of posts.
  • Menus
    I’ve reduced the number of options to fit the purpose of a project site. Additionally, the projects section replaces the itemised section for persistent project pages that get updated in place.
  • Sidebar content
    I’ve elected to place my social network links in one place at the top of the bar. I’ve also removed the “about” section in favour of the top of a site menu item.

I’m not a stranger to Markdown; however, I’ve needed a primer/go-to resource. I can’t recommend this post enough for learning Markdown.

Syntax highlighting

I’ve enabled PowerShell highlighting via the following config.toml change:

highlightjsLang = ["PowerShell"]

And almost immediately after writing that and trying to mark the above as TOML for highlighting I had to get the missing TOML language and update the config file again:

highlightjsLang = ["PowerShell","toml"]

Privacy configuration

I have set the site privacy controls to their maximum.

    disable = true
    disable = true
    disable = true
    enableDNT =  true
    simple = true
    disable = true
    privacyEnhanced = true

Adding a table of contents to a Hugo post

I’m utilising Hugo table of contents support via a shortcode - thanks to this post for the approach.

My shortcode content file contains:

<div class="toc">
    {{ .Page.TableOfContents }}


For a long time I wasn’t going to set a favicon- but whilst chasing down speed phantoms I elected to produce one to rule out the delay in discovering a favicon.

The pack of files it produces covered virtually every scenario. Based on the favicon cheat sheet, I also took steps based on iOS apple-touch expectations.

Relevant posts


I want to credit the following people and the resources they make available online to help others, including myself: